Friday, June 24, 2011

Traditional Dressage

     I'd like to begin this blog by stating who I am and what I stand for as a trainer, instructor, and a student. I love my job, and I feel very blessed by all the people who have helped me along the way. My goal is to educate, encourage, and bring others together as they help me on my journey. I have much more to learn, and I look forward to sharing it along the way.
    One issue that is currently being brought to my attention is the "difference" between competitive and classical dressage. I have spent much time contemplating and seeking knowledge on this subject. I hate witnessing the division and disconnection between those who practice "classical" dressage, and those who practice "competitive" dressage. My personal opinion stems from the foundation that I instill in my students from day one - It is my objective to develop correct, tactful, and effective riders. Olympic Gold Medalist, Klaus Balkenhol could not have said it better - "There is no 'classical' dressage or 'competitive' dressage. There is only correct riding."



     I have also found that some dressage trainers claim to be "classical" in order to justify and try to place themselves above criticism. It is interesting to note that there is no certification or lisence to call oneself a classical trainer - and it's even more fascinating to know that the old masters didn't even refer to it as "classical" - just "dressage." With this being said, I would like to re-affirm what sets me apart as a teacher of "correct" riding. I use my passion to allow my students to think, feel, and understand - not just robotically perform what they are told - to be treated as anything less than intelligent is unworthy of any human being. Or horse, for that matter.
     I will admit that I am much younger and less experienced than many of the great trainers behind the expertise of dressage, and that I have nothing new or revolutionary to add to the sport. It's the same traditional dressage that has been around for hundreds of years. I only try to explain it in a way to help others understand.

     Aside from my rant, I am thrilled about how great things are at Blue Moon! I am so fortunate to have the most wonderful and supportive clients anyone could ask for. All of my students are coming along nicely - even the horses are pleasantly happy with their jobs.


     Here are two of our newest additions: Alisha and Gypsy gelding, Artero. Alisha recently started working at Blue Moon, and is so much fun to be around. Here she is working on earning Artero's trust and respect. As one of my mentor's taught me, "the basis of all training comes from teaching a horse to drop its head."

     I am also excited about all of the events coming up! This Sunday, June 26th, is our first "Ladies Horsin' Around Spa Day." We are looking forward to making some great memories! - Pilates, catered lunch, riding, chair massages, and meeting new people!
     July 10th is our next Dressage Clinic with USDF German Bronze Medalist and FN Bronze medalist, Carrie Ferrer. This is a great oppurtunity to learn from an experienced and encouraging instructor - and to spend time with some great people.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! Wonderful blog. Love all the information I got and even as one that knows very little about dressage I feel a little more educated about dressage.

    ReplyDelete